[pydotorg-www] PSF- Board Meeting Minutes -Approved- January, Feb., & March 2011

Pat Campbell patcam at python.org
Fri Apr 22 23:38:44 CEST 2011

Hello Pydotorg:

Could you please post the following "PSF board meeting minutes" online,
http://www.python.org/psf/records/board/minutes/  at the usual web
locations:
please see the attachments for the approved board meeting minutes
for January,
February, and March 2011.

Thanks,
Pat

--
Pat Campbell
PSF Administrator/Secretary
patcam at python.org
Author: psf at python.org

.. declare custom role for action items:
.. role:: action

.. class:: minutes-title

| The Python Software Foundation
| Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors
|
| January 24, 2011

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of
Directors was held over Internet Relay Chat beginning at 16:00 UTC, 24
January 2011. Steve Holden presided at the meeting. Pat Campbell
prepared the minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "*Y-N-A*" (*in favor ? opposed ?
abstentions*; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2
abstentions").

.. sectnum::
.. contents::

Attendance
==========

The following members of the Board of Directors were present at the
meeting: Raymond Hettinger, Steve Holden, Marc-Andre Lemburg, Martin
v. Löwis, David Mertz, Doug Napoleone, Jesse Noller, Tim Peters,
Allison Randal, Jeff Rush, Greg Stein, James Tauber, and Gloria
Willadsen. Also in attendance were Kurt Kaiser (Treasurer), and Pat
Campbell (Secretary & Administrator).

Minutes of Past Meetings
========================

The 20 December 2010 Board meeting minutes were voted on and approved.

Approved, 12-0-1.

Votes Taken Between Meetings
============================

There were no votes taken since the last Board meeting held on 20
December 2010.

Treasurer Report
================

The monthly Treasurer's Report was provided to Board members by K.
Kaiser prior to the Board meeting and produced from Quickbooks Online.

Here is an exerpt from the treasurer's report on a few of the activities
the treasurer will be focused on:

"My focus is currently on IRS year-end 1099 filing (tutorial honoraria),
AR and AP reduction, PyCon sponsor invoicing, and implementation of the
Associate Member program."

Progress Report                                                                                                                                                                                             .
one week prior to this month's meeting. Please see a summary of each
board report listed below and a possible board discussion to follow:

Communication Status
--------------------

D. Hellmann, Communication Officer, reported continued activities from
last month, by saying:

   1. Paulo Nuin is working on a post about the PyPI mirroring project.

   2. Engelbert Gruber is working on interview questions for a post about
   the new PyCon web site.

As far as new activities for the month are concerned, he reported:

   1. Summer pyGames post, by Paulo Nuin

      http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2010/12/summer-pygames.html

   2. Post about Vern Ceder's programming class, by Doug Hellmann

      http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2010/12/high-school-students-program-robots.html

   3. PSF Community awards posts, by Paulo Nuin

      * http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/01/andrew-kuchling-receives-psf-community.html
      * http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/01/doug-hellmann-receives-psf-community.html

For items planned for next month and ongoing projects, D. Hellmann reported on
respectively:

   1. Assist with publicity for PyCon.

   Facebook stats for 9 Dec - 7 Jan

   | 13,0962 monthly active users
   | 1,559 new likes
   | 247,533 post views
   | 549 post feedback

Core Development Tasks
----------------------

B. Cannon, Core Development Tasks Project, reported new activities
for the month of January by saying:

"Devguide has been started (http://docs.python.org/devguide/). As of
this moment the pages related to getting someone set up to becoming a
core developer are now done."

As far as plans for next month's activities, Brett goes on to say:

"The guides on how to make changes to the stdlib and the language will
be done. There is also some doc cleanup in terms of moving things out
of various PEPs and the Misc directory in Python's repo and over to
the devguide.

After that I will start the Python 2->3 porting guide."

HAM WebPages/Links
------------------

P. Campbell, Honorary Associate Membership (HAM) WebPages Start-up
Project, reported issues/blockages for the month by saying:

"The issue is that we are in need of another Content Management System (CMS)
like MatrixMaxx because we will no longer be utilizing the MatrixMaxx Group
service. Our primary contact and advocate will be leaving the company.

Therefore, we are currently shopping around for a replacement service as well
as looking into a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) setup like CiviCRM
SugarCRM, or Salesforce just to name a few."

Board Discussion:

G. Willadsen: "Will CiviCRM be hosted elsewhere, or will we have to do so?"

K. Kaiser: "Not decided -- not a major issue compared to the web page
development. My view is that CiviCRM is very similar to MatrixMaxx. What is
missing is the web page where the Honarary Associate Membership (HAM) signup.
Payment is relatively a minor issue."

S. Holden: "What I would like to emphasize are the priorities:
   1. The system should include membership management that will handle our current
      and anticipated needs.
   2. It should provide all necessary financial information in a form easily entered
      into QBO.
   3. It should be easy for Pat to operate and train others in the operation of."

Infrastructure Committee
------------------------

S. Reifschneider, Infrastructure Committee Chair, reported the following
work initiated for the month:

    1.Martin set up DNS for the Polish Python Coders group.They were
    losing access to their previous domain at www.python.org.pl because
    the domain owner wanted to commercialize it. COMPLETED.

Marketing Material
------------------

M.A.Lemburg, Marketing Material Project Manager, reported progress
on the project:

"The proposal for the project was accepted by the PSF board in the
December 2010 meeting. It was a close call, but I'm glad that
such projects can finally be undertaken with the PSF.

We are currently preparing the paperwork to get the contractual side
setup and have in parallel started work on the content."

As far as future plans are concerned for his marketing materials
project, he reported:

"If the project goes well, we'll follow up with a Python flyer,
translated versions of the brochure and also consider creating
marketing material more targeted at specific user groups or
application fields.

In the long run, we'd also like to take the idea of producing
marketing material beyond printed material and develop booth
setups, giveaways, CDs, etc. to support conference organizers and
local user groups wishing to promote Python at their events."

Moving PyPI to Amazon CloudFront
--------------------------------

The project leader, M.A. Lemburg, Moving PyPI to Amazon CloudFront,
reported progress on this project for the month:

"We have setup the Amazon account for Amazon Web Services (AWS)
and enabled S3 and CloudFront.

Since we don't want to get into issues with respect to the PyPI
content being subject to US regulations, we will be using the
European facilities of Amazon in Ireland for hosting the data.
The current PyPI production server is located in The Netherlands.

The next step is to create a development environment for working
out the integration details. This will require getting access to
the PyPI server, database and then creating a private installation
of the PyPI software."

M. A. Lemburg also reported on future plans for the project:

"Van Lindbergh mentioned RackSpace's cloud system on the board list.
We may proceed with integrating that as well, if the Amazon setup
turns out to work according to plan."

PyCon US Website
----------------

D. Napoleone, PyCon US Website Project, reported on issues/
blockages:

   1. Schedule application delayed.

   2. Website overloaded

      The 2011 website hosted by Eldarion became overloaded the evening
      the talks were announced. More cloud servers have been brought
      online to prevent this from happening in the future. We were handling
      >6 Meg/sec traffic and >20M hits/sec for ~5min before we
      buckled under the load.

He also reported on continued activities from last month by saying:

1. Registration continues with only two known minor one-time problems.

For new activities, items planned for next month, and ongoing projects,
D. Napoleone reported respectively:

   1. Talks and Tutorials announced.

   1. New schedule system from Eldarion

   1. Bug fixes and feature requests.

   2. Archival of old PyCon websites.

      We will end of life the Tummy.com dedicated server within
      6 months. All the previous years sites will be archived to static
      content, checked into the python.org PyCon svn repository and cheaply
      hosted.

Sprint Committee
----------------

J. Noller, Sprint Committee Chair, reported continued activities from last month
with:

"- Announced lax requirements on blog, need to update CFP."

As far as new activities for the month are concerned, J. Noller reported:

"- Brian and I are going to finish the updated CFA/CFP
 - We need to spend more significant time sending out emails and
   marketing the fact the project exists."

10,000 Grant Awarded to the PyPy Project

A motion was passed granting an award of $10,000 to the PyPy project to
be announced at PyCon 2011.

   **RESOLVED**, RESOLVED, that C Conservancy in recognition of the past
   and current work they have done on their PyPy Python implementation,
   including JIT and C extension support and in moving their Python
   implementation forward towards the 2.7 standard. The PSF recognizes
   the hard work and dedication the PyPy team has continually exhibited,
   and looks forward to supporting them in the future.

Aproved, 9-2-2.

2011-Q1 Community Service Award Nominations

Two Nominees for the 2011 - 1st Quarter PSF Community Service Award were
selected and the winners were announced at the 2011 PyCon Conference.

   **RESOLVED**, that the 2011-Q1 PSF Community Service Award be made to
   Van Lindberg and Benjamin Peterson and announcement of the prospective
   award recipients will take place at the PyCon Conference held in
   Atlanta, Georgia in March 2011.

Approved, 13-0-0.

Other Business
both board directors and PSF members on a trial basis.

Adjournment
===========

S. Holden adjourned the meeting at 17:06 UTC.
Title: 2011-02-28 PSF Board Meeting Minutes
Encoding: utf-8
.. declare custom role for action items:
.. role:: action

.. class:: minutes-title

| The Python Software Foundation
| Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors
|
| February 28, 2011

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of
Directors was held over Internet Relay Chat beginning at 16:00 UTC, 28
February 2011. Steve Holden presided at the meeting. Pat Campbell
prepared the minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "*Y-N-A*" (*in favor â?? opposed â??
abstentions*; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2
abstentions").

.. sectnum::
.. contents::

Attendance
==========

The following members of the Board of Directors were present at the
meeting: Raymond Hettinger, Steve Holden, Marc-Andre Lemburg arrived
at 12:09, David Mertz, Doug Napoleone, Jesse Noller, Tim Peters,
Allison Randal left at 12:31, Jeff Rush, Greg Stein, James Tauber,
and Gloria Willadsen. Also in attendance were Kurt Kaiser (Treasurer),
and Pat Campbell (Secretary & Administrator).

Minutes of Past Meetings
========================

The 24 January 2011 Board meeting minutes were voted on and approved.

Approved, 10-0-1.

Votes Taken Between Meetings
============================

There were no votes taken since the last Board meeting held on 24
January 2010.

Treasurer Report
================

The monthly Treasurer's Report was provided to Board members by K.
Kaiser prior to the Board meeting and produced from Quickbooks Online.

Here is an exerpt from the treasurer's report on a few of the activities
the treasurer will be focused on:

"My focus is currently on AR and AP reduction, PyCon sponsor invoicing,
implementation of the Associate Member program. and preparation of the
2010 Financial Statements."

Progress Report                                                                                                                                                                                             .
one week prior to this month's meeting. Please see a summary of each
board report listed below and a possible board discussion at the end
of the report:

Communication Status
--------------------

D. Hellmann, Communication Officer, reported continued activities from
last month, by saying:

   1. Paulo Nuin is working on a post about the PyPI mirroring project.

   2. Engelbert Gruber is working on interview questions for a post about
   the new PyCon web site.

As far as new activities for the month are concerned, he reported:

   1. Local users' group post by Doug Hellmann

      http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/01/finding-local-users-group.html

For items planned for next month and ongoing projects, D. Hellmann reported
respectively:

   1. Assist with publicity for PyCon.

   2. Talk with R. David Murray about the email package status and write
      up that project.

   Facebook stats for 9 Dec - 7 Jan

   | 8,834 monthly active users
   | 1,450 new likes
   | 51.191 post views
   | 274 post feedback

Core Development Tasks
----------------------

B. Cannon, Core Development Tasks Project, reported continued activities
from last month by saying:

* Finished new devguide for contributing to Python (and related
patches to Python, mostly related to testing and coverage measuring)
* Finished Python 2/3 porting guide

B. Cannon also reported new activities for the month, he said:

<pycon surprise -- I would like to spring this on the community as a
lightning talk, but it is in no way crucial>
Developing a website to monitor Python 3 project uptake on PyPI. Core
difference compared to
http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&c=533&show=all,
http://python3wos.appspot.com/, or http://onpython3yet.com/ is that it
will support manually specifying a project supports Python 3. IOW it
will get around the issue of these sites accidentally spreading FUD
about Python 3 adoption inherent in their reliance on only automated
processes which rely on project maintainers to not be lazy. By
allowing select people (initially) to mark projects as supporting
Python 3 this will get around those limitations. Think
http://getpython3.net/ but with PyPI project tie-in for detecting
Python 3 support and (hopefully) a more pro-active search for projects
by the community.

There will also be more metrics for measuring project popularity to
provide various lists of top projects to get a clearer idea of exactly
what still needs to be ported.
</pycon surprise>

As far as making plans for next month's activities, Brett's core
development task project will be finished.

HAM WebPages/Links
------------------

P. Campbell, Honorary Associate Membership (HAM) WebPages Start-up
Project, reported continued activities from last month by saying:

"According to our treasurer, Kurt Kaiser, a server has been setup and
the CiviCRM has been installed.

Kurt is working with Andrew Kuchling to import our data from the
MatrixMaxx system to CiviCRM.

Hopefully, our first HAM membership signup will soon be on the way
once the HAM membership signup and payment system is integrated with
python.org!"

Infrastructure Committee
------------------------

S. Reifschneider, Infrastructure Committee Chair, reported on a task
from previous months, he said:

     - A previous task that I thought was completed, the "trac" instance for
       the PSF, was re-opened.  Through a mis-communication, I thought
       this was resolved, but the board was waiting for me to do the order.

       The treasurer needed to place the order and so it has been handed off
       to Kurt.

As far as ongoing projects, Sean listed: PSF Trac.

Marketing Material
------------------

M.A.Lemburg, Marketing Material Project Manager, reported progress
on the project:

"The contract has been finalized and submitted to the PSF chairman
for sign-off.

Meanwhile we have started work on the brochure cover, a flyer for
PyCon US and are currently preparing a blog post for the PSF blog.

The next steps are setting up a website to attract both content
providers and sponsors for the brochure."

M.A.Lemburg also reported issues with the project, he said:

"Getting contacts to companies with interesting Python projects
has so far been difficult. While we did get a few leads on our
first rounds of emails, we will need a lot more to make the
brochure as attractive as possible.

For that reason, we're currently focusing on getting more attention
for the brochure project - via the PyCon US flyer, a newsletter,
a Twitter account, blog posts and direct emails.

Additional help in finding such interesting projects would be greatly
appreciated. Please email me directly, if you know of such
projects and ideally provide an introduction, so that we can
pick up the lead from there. Thanks !"

As far as future plans are concerned for his marketing materials
project, he reported:

"If the project goes well, we'll follow up with a Python flyer,
translated versions of the brochure and also consider creating
marketing material more targeted at specific user groups or
application fields.

In the long run, we'd also like to take the idea of producing
marketing material beyond printed material and develop booth
setups, giveaways, CDs, etc. to support conference organizers and
local user groups wishing to promote Python at their events."

Moving PyPI to Amazon CloudFront
--------------------------------

The project leader, M.A. Lemburg, Moving PyPI to Amazon CloudFront,
reported progress on this project for the month:

"In order to work on the PyPI code and to experiment with the
push logic needed for Amazon S3 (and from there CloudFront),
I have setup an Amazon EC2 instance running Ubuntu with a
mirror copy of the PyPI installation on the main server.

Neil has made progress on getting the syncing of package files
to the S3 buckets working.

Grig and I have tried to find ways to get S3 and CloudFront
to work more like a real web server would. Especially the
directory index access is giving us problems."

In terms of having any issues surrounding his project, M. A.
Lemburg reported no issues except that he just does not have enough
time to devote to his Moving PyPI to Amazon CloudFront project.

M. A. Lemburg also reported on future plans for the project:

"Check to see whether a trigger based approach to S3 syncing
wouldn't be easier to implement right from the start."

PyCon US Website
----------------

D. Napoleone, PyCon US Website Project, reported on new activities
for the month:

   1. Schedule now live (url omitted to not pre-empt announcement)

Doug also reported on next month's planned activities, he said:

   1. Archival of old PyCon websites.

      We will end of life the Tummy.com dedicated server within
      6 months. All the previous years sites will be archived to static
      content, checked into the python.org PyCon svn repository and cheaply
      hosted.

Sprint Committee
----------------

J. Noller, Sprint Committee Chair, provided a summary of activities for this
month, he reported: :

"We recently had two approved sprints in January for which we are awaiting
reimbursement requests; the PyPy sprint and the Python African Tour sprint.
After a mass email campaign, we approved three more sprints; Cape Town,
Portland, and PyCon Australia. We're currently evaluating what our involvement
at PyCon US should be."

As far as new activities for the month are concerned, J. Noller said:

"- Mass email campaign, reaching out to every known Python user group with a
brief introduction to the group goals and new call for applications. Over 90
groups have been contacted resulting in numerous official applications, contact
for further questions and initial interest, and a lot of talk on the mailing
lists.

- Creation of a swag-bag insert for PyCon, which was cleared by Jesse and Van.

- Working with Kurt to get a dump of the payment history, to be used for the
creation of a ledger and better tracking of funding."

J. Noller's plans for next month are PyCon related.

Python Miro Community Grant Funding
=====================================

   **RESOLVED**, that the PSF provide USD $1,800 to Will Kahn-Greene
   to finance the Miro Community service costs for one year (USD $900)
   and continue to develop the Python Miro Community.

Approved, 10-1-1.

PyCon AU 2011 Sponsorship Funding
===================================

   **RESOLVED**, that the PSF provide a US$1,500 sponsorship funding to
   the PyCon AU 2011 conference to be held in Sydney, Australia.

Approved, 9-0-1.

Create RFP Document to Redesign Python.org

   **RESOLVED**, that the PSF approves the exploration and creation of a
   Request For Proposals (RFP) document outlining the requirements for an
   redesign and refresh of the current Python.org website, including
   front-end user interface and back end publishing and content creation
   system. The document will be put together by Jesse Noller (current PSF
   board member) and the acceptance and publishing of the document will be
   contingent on board approval.

Approved, 8-0-3.

Read the Docs Grant Funding
============================

   **RESOLVED**, That the PSF provide funding for the Read the Docs website
   (http://readthedocs.org/) hosting costs for a period of 12 months at the
   rate of $70 for a total amount of $840 for the next year.

Approved, 6-2-3.

2011 Members' Meeting
======================

Board members discussed the upcoming Members' Meeting to be held at PyCon US
2011 in Atlanta, Georgia to review the final planning stages. Prior to this
month's board meeting, P. Campbell, PSF Secretary, had prepared a members'
meeting report for board members review which included details of the
arrangements for the members' meeting and catered lunch event.

Other Business
===============

None

Adjournment
===========

S. Holden adjourned the meeting at 17:10 UTC.
Title: 2011-03-21 PSF Board Meeting Minutes
Encoding: utf-8
.. declare custom role for action items:
.. role:: action

.. class:: minutes-title

| The Python Software Foundation
| Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors
|
| March 21, 2011

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of
Directors was held over Internet Relay Chat beginning at 16:00 UTC, 21
March 2011. Steve Holden presided at the meeting. Pat Campbell
prepared the minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "*Y-N-A*" (*in favor ? opposed ?
abstentions*; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2
abstentions").

.. sectnum::
.. contents::

Attendance
==========

The following members of the Board of Directors were present at the
meeting: Raymond Hettinger, Steve Holden, Marc-Andre Lemburg, David Mertz,
Doug Napoleone arrived at 12:34, Jesse Noller, Tim Peters, Allison Randal
arrived at 12:05, Jeff Rush, Martin von Loewis, and Gloria Willadsen. Also
in attendance were Kurt Kaiser (Treasurer), and Pat Campbell (Secretary &
Administrator).

Minutes of Past Meetings
========================

The 28 February 2011 Board meeting minutes were voted on and approved.

Approved, 8-0-1.

Votes Taken Between Meetings
============================

There were no votes taken since the last Board meeting held on 28
February 2011.

Treasurer Report
================

The monthly Treasurer's Report was provided to Board members by K.
Kaiser prior to the Board meeting and produced from Quickbooks Online.

Here is an exerpt from the treasurer's report on a few of the activities
the treasurer will be focused on:

"Although this is a report for February, PyCon is now over, and my focus
is currently on AR and AP reduction, PyCon wrap-up and final payments to
the hotel and our vendors, and implementation of the Associate Member
program."

Progress Report                                                                                                                                                                                             .
one week prior to this month's meeting. Please see a summary of each
board report listed below and a possible board discussion which
followed the report:

Communication Status
--------------------

D. Hellmann, Communication Officer, reported continued activities from
last month, by saying:

   1. Paulo Nuin is working on a post about the PyPI mirroring project.

   2. Paulo Nuin is working on a post about the email package rewrite. We
      are waiting for some details about the QNX funding before the post
      goes live.

As far as new activities for the month are concerned, he reported:

   1. Several messages about the site-selection meeting for PyCon 2014-2015.

      - http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/02/pycon-2014-2015-site-selection-meeting.html
      - http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/03/bring-superbowl-of-python-to-your.html

   2. Added a few companies to the list maintained by @ThePSF account on
      twitter. If your company is not already included, please send a
      message to @ThePSF with the account you would like added.

      - http://twitter.com/ThePSF/companies

   3. Members meeting announcement

      - http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/02/psf-members-meeting-to-be-held-at-pycon.html

   4. Paulo Nuin posted the call for submission for the promotional brochure project

      - http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/03/call-for-submissions-for-promotional.html

   5. Announce readthedocs.org grant

      - http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/03/psf-funds-readthedocsorg.html

   6. Posted call for applications for GSoC

      - http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/03/now-accepting-applications-for-google.html

     Doug and Arc Riley talked about other ways to promote the project
     this year. The next event is announcing that the PSF is
     participating (assuming we are accepted, of course).

   7. Renew call for applications for sprint funding to coinside with the
      first day of PyCon sprints.

      - http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/03/call-for-applications-sprint-funding.html

   8. Announce PyCon AU funding

      - http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/03/pycon-australia.html

For items planned for next month and ongoing projects, D. Hellmann reported
respectively:

   1. Finish the post on the email project.

   2. Announce grant to fund Python Miro Community (post scheduled for 21
      March).

   3. We are starting a new project in partnership with the python-dev
      team to blog about the volunteer efforts from that group. I was
      able to recruit a few contributors at PyCon, and will put out a
      more general call for help after we have the blog established.

   Facebook stats for 9 Dec - 7 Jan

   | 12,709 monthly active users (up 44%)
   | 1,625 new likes
   | 244,180 post views (up 377%)
   | 472 post feedback

HAM WebPages/Links
------------------

P. Campbell, Honorary Associate Membership (HAM) WebPages Start-up
Project, reported on any current issues or blockages the project may
be faced with by saying:

"We have been in the technical phase of the Honorary Associate Membership
(HAM) Project for the past few months which means that the actual HAM
membership recruitment can not begin until the new membership sign-up and
payment system are in place on the official Python website.

According to Kurt Kaiser, our treasurer, since PyCon US 2011 is behind us,
he will be able to devote more of his time to the HAM project.

So, hopefully, our first HAM membership signup will soon be on the way
once the HAM membership signup and payment system is integrated with
python.org!"

Infrastructure Committee
------------------------

S. Reifschneider, Infrastructure Committee Chair, reported on ongoing
projects for the month when he listed: PSF Trac.

Marketing Material
------------------

M.A.Lemburg, Marketing Material Project Manager, reported progress
on the project:

"The contract has been signed by the Steve and is now
in process of being countersigned. At the same time, Kurt
is preparing the first payment.

For PyCon US 2011, we have prepared a flyer which was placed into
the attendee's swag bag and have recruited a team of "contact
scouts" to help find and contact people at PyCon US with
potentially interesting Python projects:

   http://brochure.getpython.info/signup/contact-scout-signup

Doug's blog team has also put up a post about the project
on the PSF blog.

To make the information about the brochure more readily
available, we have also created a informational website
to support the brochure:

   http://brochure.getpython.info/

The flyer, blog post, contact scouts and mention of the
project in Steve's talk have created a number of useful
contacts which we will be following up with over the next
weeks.

We've also created a newsletter mailing list, a twitter
account and RSS feed for interested parties."

M.A.Lemburg also reported issues with the project, he said:

"Additional help in finding such interesting projects would be
greatly appreciated. Please consider signing up as contact scout:

   http://brochure.getpython.info/signup/contact-scout-signup

Thanks !"

As far as future plans are concerned for his marketing materials
project, he reported:

"If the project goes well, we'll follow up with a Python flyer,
translated versions of the brochure and also consider creating
marketing material more targeted at specific user groups or
application fields.

In the long run, we'd also like to take the idea of producing
marketing material beyond printed material and develop booth
setups, giveaways, CDs, etc. to support conference organizers and
local user groups wishing to promote Python at their events."

Moving PyPI to Amazon CloudFront
--------------------------------

The project leader, M.A. Lemburg, Moving PyPI to Amazon CloudFront,
reported progress on this project for the month:

"There has not been much progress on the project in the last four
weeks."

In terms of having any issues surrounding his project, M. A.
Lemburg reported no issues except that he just does not have enough
time to devote to his Moving PyPI to Amazon CloudFront project.

M. A. Lemburg also reported on future plans for the project:

"Check to see whether a trigger based approach to S3 syncing
wouldn't be easier to implement right from the start."

PyCon US Website
----------------

D. Napoleone, PyCon US Website Project, reported on new activities
for the month:

   1. Contract with Eldarion is complete.

   2. Archival of old PyCon websites to static content is complete.

   3. Catalog of future work and requirements is almost complete.

Sprint Committee
----------------

J. Noller, Sprint Committee Chair, provided a summary of activities for
this month, he reported: :

"We recently approved two large, multi-day sprints for late March and
early April in Argentina and Chicago, respectively. We also had two
sprints occur in Portland and Cape Town, the latter of which we've
already received a reimbursement request and will be working to pay
out.

The PyCon swag insert seemed to have been a success and got a few
people talking, and will be looking forward to more sprints."

As far as continued activities from last month, J. Noller said:

"Using the account data from Kurt Kaiser, we're going to build up the
ledger in order to keep better track of funding as usage grows.

We're awaiting word from Noah Kantrowitz about our balance for the
partial funding of the PyCon sprints. We put $500 into the pot, but
have not yet heard what the total cost was and what our portion will
be."

On his report of new activities for the month, J. Noller said:

"Catching up on promotion and blog writing. The Cape Town group did a
very successful matplotlib sprint that we need to write about, and
their previous porting sprint on Genshi was finally accepted into
trunk which also needs coverage. Promotion of the two newly accepted
sprints also needs coverage, which will be written early in the week
of March 20."

Trademarks Committee
--------------------

D. Mertz, Trademarks Committee Chair, provided issues & blockages for the
previous monthly reporting, he said:

"- The committee chair has been remiss in good monthly reports, but below are
   summarized the activity the committee has done in the last 2-3 months (but
   possibly with some exchanges missing in quick attempt at summary)."

As far as reporting on new activities, he provided the following list:

 - Eric Shae requests use of logo on hat, which was explained as nominative use
 - Geoffrey Duncan requests use of logo in comic strip, explained as nominative
 - Martin Haller requests use of modified logo for PyFFmgeg.  The use was
   considered confusing and dilutive.  After a polite email exchange, the
   project agreed to a different design that preserved the shape of the Python
   logo.
 - Carl Trachte identified a possible derivative logo used by Amara, but it
   seems to be sufficiently different not to be derived or confusable with the
   Python logo
 - Carl Trachte identified some modification for 3D effect by "The Python Noob"
   but they do not appear to pose a problem.
 - Python Logo Glencairn Glasses were produced with nominative use of logo,
   and our Chair apparently managed to claim at least a set of them while they
   slipped by possessions of the Trademarks committee
 - Ram Rachum produced a dark background version of the Python logo that is
   nominative use, but reminded committee that it would be nice to provide
   stock versions of such dark background images.
 - Arc Riley has expressed an intent to design copyright unrestricted version
   of font similar to the one used in our wordmark logo, which would be cool
   if it happens.
 - Carl Trachte consulted committee to clarify use of Python logo in examples
   of SVG modification tools.  He added good verbiage to his blog post letting
   readers know that such modified versions could not be used generally without
   permission of Trademarks Committee, while still producing a helpful article
   about SVG.
 - We decided not to really address a use of modified logo in personal avatar
   icon, despite Van's concern of strictness of enforcement (although it does
   not appear we really have jurisdictional force in Austria anyway; at least
   in my evaluation it wasn't worth pushing on).
 - Sheila Rebellato of ActiveState received clarification of nominative use
   of logo in PyCon flyers and marketing material.
 - We clarified that use of logo on race bikes by Kent Gormat was fine
   (although I was slightly unclear of connection between PL and bikes)

D. Mertz reported on a number of ongoing projects:

 - Carl Trachte identified a likely problematic derivative with pugce.  This
    should be addressed, but has not currently.
 - Doug Napoleone identified a probably dilutive derived logo by psycopg.  I
   need to followup with them to resolve this.
 - Find some PSF member or other helpful Pythonista to produce dark background
   logo version
 - Find some PSF member or other helpful Pythonista to produce logos that
   indicate PSF sponsors as a standard badge/logo.

In addition to the above report, David also provided an executive summary:

Executive summary: The rate of trademark issues addressed by
committees has been consistent for the last year.  The majority of
correspondences are simply clarifications of nominative use.  Perhaps
20% of discussions are about uses that we find dilutive or confusing,
and in all cases for about 2 years, those uses that concern us have
been resolved amiciably with the project rep, user group, individual,
etc. who has the problem use.

The committee (which mostly means its chair informally deciding that a
given use has been discussed adequately to followup on) is adequate to
the tasks we've seen.  Our counsel, Van, remains available on call in
the event that some nastygrams or other legal actions are needed, but
that has not been necessary since one case about two years ago.

Hope that clarifies overall status.  It amounts, in my mind, to the
need for the continuing need for the committee to do its work, but the
work required remains steady and moderate.

2011 EuroPython Conference Grant Funding

   **RESOLVED**, that the PSF provide $2,000 to the 2011 EuroPython
   Conference to be held in Italy.

Approved, 9-0-0.

ISTE Speaking Engagement Funding for V. Cedar

   **RESOLVED**, that the PSF provide $500 for travel expenses to Vern
   Ceder for the International Society for Technology in Education(ISTE)
   speaking engagement to be held in Philadelphia, US, June 2011.

Approved, 10-0-0.

Online Degree Reviews Future Sponsor Membership

   **RESOLVED**, that the Board of Directors recommends Online Degree
   Reviews to the membership, as a future sponsor member of the PSF.

Approved, 9-0-0.

Kiwi PyCon 2011 Conference Grant Funding

   **RESOLVED**, That the PSF provide NZ$ 2,000 for Kiwi PyCon 2011
   Conference to be held in New Zealand.

Approved, 8-2-0.

Other Business
===============

Conference Grant Prospectus
---------------------------

The board reached a consenus on the need to construct a conference grant
prospectus to be utilized as a basic guideline for conference funding.

J. Noller: "We should write a "Conference Grant Prospectus" which outlines
how much to each "type" of conference we are willing to grant, and how they
can apply."

M.A. Lemburg: "I can write up the page if someone else puts it up on the
website."

S. Holden: "If you can draft an article, we can discuss it, then pass it by
the board-public list before publication."

2011 Members' Meeting
---------------------

Board members discussed the upcoming Members' Meeting to be held at PyCon US
2011 in Atlanta, Georgia to review the final planning stages. Prior to this
month's board meeting, P. Campbell, PSF Secretary, had prepared a members'
meeting report for board members review which included details of the
arrangements for the members' meeting and catered lunch event.

Contributor Agreements in Python Bug Tracker

The board briefly discussed the importance of updating contributor agreements
in the bug tracker as a building block toward utilizing electronic contributor
agreements sometime in the near future.

J. Noller: "I am following up on electronic contributor agreements per the PyCon
discussions (the language summit) with Van Lindberg and Jacob Kaplan moss. When I
have more information and a fully fledged plan, I will send it to the board. I
have requirements from the summit, and Guido/others."

S. Holden: "That would be helpful. I think it's an irritation more than a real
horror right now, but better we fix it before we see a large influx of developers."

M. von Loewis: "I'd like to arrive at a point where the tracker (or some other place)
is authorative wrt. this information, so we can say that anybody not listed there
either didn't submit a form, or we lost it."

PyCon US 2010 & 2011 -- Great Job!

The board extended a hardy thank-you to V. Lindberg, chair, and J. Noller, vice-chair
of PyCon US 2010 & 2011 for their great work.

S. Holden: "You [J. Noller] and Van [Lindberg] did a great job, and THANK-YOU!!!!"

J. Noller: "I will point out: We're still organizing and recovering from 2009 - Van and
I have set some processes in place which will help us in the future, and we're refining
it."

Adjournment