[pydotorg-www] Fwd: Suggestion: add more aliases for PEPs

webmaster at python.org webmaster at python.org
Fri Sep 3 18:44:17 CEST 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Suggestion: add more aliases for PEPs
Date: 	Fri, 3 Sep 2010 11:39:33 -0500
From: 	Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>
To: 	webmaster at python.org

Would it be possible to add more aliases for PEP URLs to allow, e.g.,

   http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-370/

instead of

   http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/

I would like to set up a search engine shortcut in Google Chrome (or a
Quick Search in Firefox) that would let me type "pep 370" in the URL
field and bring up the appropriate page. As far as I know, you can
only set up these search engine URLs to just put in the escaped form
of the search term; there are no facilities for doing 0-padding.

When reading python-dev discussions, everyone just uses the PEP number
and assumes that everyone knows what the PEP is about. Having a quick
way to get to the PEPs (without remembering to 0-pad) would be help
people keep track of what is going on more easily.

Thanks.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."