[pydotorg-www] Industrial Light & Magic logo 404

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 14 19:42:03 CEST 2010

>> No biggie -- we probably should have a 404 scanner to find this stuff
>> automatically.
>
> http://linkchecker.sourceforge.net

Another approach is to just analyze the log files: Apache knows exactly
when it generated an 404 error. Those could be split into errors with
a local referrer (i.e. our own broken links), with some external
referrer (where we broke somebody else's links), and no referrer (search
engines, bots, attackers).

Unlike linkchecker, this would not give use links to external sites
that we have and that got broken, and also unlike linkchecker, we
would find out if we break somebody else's links.

Regards,
Martin