[pydotorg-www] Fwd: website and ipv6

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Nov 26 21:07:36 CET 2010

>> I assume this is an end-user problem and that python.org
>> <http://python.org> *can* be reached by ipv6?
>
> I've run into this a couple of times and the solution I was always given
> was to disable IPv6 on my client system.

I think you ran into a different problem. The OP complained that he
can't reach www.python.org over IPv6, even though his operating system
supports IPv6.

While this is likely true, it is not at all a reason to disable IPv6.
Applications should fall back to IPv4 transparently - no need to disable
IPv6.

However, many systems have IPv6 enabled today, yet can't reach
www.python.org, simply because they don't have IPv6 connectivity
from their ISP. Again, that alone is no reason to disable IPv6.

It's mostly unclear in what specific cases disabling IPv6 actually
helps. The known cases are
- old Opera versions (before Opera implemented the IPv4 fallback)
- bogus university network setups (students propagating
  misconfiguration in the network), and
- certain bogus Apple setups (in particular, broken airport
  base stations).

Regards,
Martin