[pydotorg-www] A new planet for user group blog postings!

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Thu Jul 29 18:04:07 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Aahz wrote:

> >> There would be several benefits to having a single place for all
> >> Python user group news:
> >>
> >> 1. It would celebrate the fact that the community encourages user
> >> groups.  Given the recent discussions on the PSF members list about
> >> establishing a federation of regional/international foundations
> >> to work with the PSF, local user groups are going to become more
> >> important since they are a likely source of members and organizers for
> >> those new foundations.
> >
> > Perhaps your purposes would be served by broadening your proposal?  We
> > could make this an aggregator for "community news".  We would explicitly
> > label it as specifically for user group news in addition to e.g.
> > conference news, sprints, and so on.  The python.org news feed could
> > then be one of the first sources.
>
> That makes a lot of sense.  We could pull posts from the blog for the new
> sprint project Jesse is organizing and the pyfound blog (maybe limited to a
> specific tag, to avoid cross-posting everything).
>
> Alex, what do you think?

Sure, if I understand correctly there is agreement to the idea of a new
planet for "community news", and http://python.org/news/ would feed to it,
as would any UG that wanted to.

I also pictured this "community news" feed going to planet.python.org at
some point, if it proved successful.

Feed madness!

:-)

Thanks, all for considering. And let me know if I can be of any assistance
in implementing if you decide to move forward.

Alex

Alex Clark · http://aclark.net
Author — Plone 3.3 Site Administration · http://aclark.net/admin