[pydotorg-www] A new planet for user group blog postings!

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Jul 29 17:12:06 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> On Jul 28, 2010, at 11:54 PM, Stephan Deibel wrote:
>>
>> I think people are interested in user groups, but their interest
>> is limited to first finding one or a few groups near them and then
>> following just those groups.  A world-wide feed of all groups doesn't
>> seem like an interesting thing to me either, though I may just not be
>> getting why I would care what all user groups are doing.
>
> There would be several benefits to having a single place for all
> Python user group news:
>
> 1. It would celebrate the fact that the community encourages user
> groups.  Given the recent discussions on the PSF members list about
> establishing a federation of regional/international foundations
> to work with the PSF, local user groups are going to become more
> important since they are a likely source of members and organizers for
> those new foundations.

Perhaps your purposes would be served by broadening your proposal?  We
could make this an aggregator for "community news".  We would explicitly
label it as specifically for user group news in addition to e.g.
conference news, sprints, and so on.  The python.org news feed could
then be one of the first sources.

"....Normal is what cuts off your sixth finger and your tail..."  --Siobhan