[pydotorg-www] A new planet for user group blog postings!

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Thu Jul 29 03:03:24 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010, Alex Clark wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Michael Foord <mfoord at python.org>
> wrote:

> >> Why not just add the user group blogs to the existing planet?
> >
> > Good question, I think because the point is to create a "user group
> feed".
> >
> > As an individual, I'm starting to think about joining Planet Python for
> > Python-specific posts. But I'd join the "Happenings in Python User
> groups"
> > planet to post PUG-specific things. Again, I don't want to step on
> > http://python-groups.blogspot.com/'s<http://python-groups.blogspot.com/%27s>(and Jeff Rush's) toes. I'm just trying
> > to figure out a way to make it easier for me to post, and hoping that
> will
> > make it easier for others too.
>
> My take is similar to Michael's: I can't imagine caring about user groups
> generally.  Take a look at wiki LocalUserGroups -- there are way too
> many.  So I'd bet that people would mostly subscribe only to specific
> groups' blogs.

Right, but the point is… we know no one cares about user groups :-) We're
trying to get people to care about user groups ;-). In particular, we're
trying to empower user groups and one way to do that is to give them a
spotlight of sorts.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "way too many". Can you have too many
user groups? You can certainly have a hard time keeping track of them all
(and keeping the list current), but that's a different story…

Alex Clark · http://aclark.net
Author — Plone 3.3 Site Administration · http://aclark.net/admin