[pydotorg-www] Archives corruption

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Wed Jul 7 15:54:36 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 09:36:20AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Probably not by itself, since the message-ids are not embedded in the html.  I
> think you'll want a tar of the private archives directory, so that you can
> unpack the various pickles to try to work out which message-ids are assigned
> to which sequence numbers.  The problem with that of course is that with a
> regenerated archive, those mappings won't be correct any more.

Note that the internal threading IDs *are* embedded in the HTML for

    <!--0 01277935270- -->
    <LI><A HREF="101252.html">[Python-Dev] OS X buildbots: why am I skipping these tests?
    </A><A NAME="101252">&nbsp;</A>
    <I>&quot;Martin v. L&#246;wis&quot;
    </I>

    <UL>
    <!--1 01277935270-01277935581- -->
    <LI><A HREF="101253.html">[Python-Dev] OS X buildbots: why am I skipping these tests?
    </A><A NAME="101253">&nbsp;</A>
    <I>Brett Cannon
    </I>

When quoting e-mails, Linux Weekly News includes the entire e-mail in
their CMS.  Maybe something similar could be done for PEPs, providing
a way to store and attach the entire e-mail giving a decision.

--amk