[pydotorg-www] FWD: Wiki Internal Server Error

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Aug 11 00:45:50 CEST 2010

On 8/10/2010 6:25 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>> I think this would be difficult to implement. The process just gets
>>> killed by the kernel when it is over CPU quota.
>>
>> I think it's a bit odd that requests are routinely taking so much effort to
>> process. I managed to get the 500 error page editing pages today, although
>> the pages were saved correctly.
>
> Well, one such page is TitleIndex. I don't know how MoinMoin computes it
> - but it surely is expensive to compute, given the size of this Wiki.
>
> Of course, any proposals for tuning the installation would be much
> appreciated.
>
> It's just a fact that this Wiki has computed *a lot* of CPU time over
> the last few years, and has often caused the Cheeseshop to become
> unavailable (which is quite unfortunate).
>
> With the CPU quota, this doesn't seem to happen anymore - at the
> expensive of some pages not getting rendered properly.

Given the non-availability of extra rack space at XS4ALL, would it be
practical to replace one or more machines with more powerful hardware,
or is it pretty much maxed out?

If the latter then we should probably look at relocating the Wiki (which
I don't believe has any content best handled outside the US) to some
other hosting facility. It should certainly not be allowed to interfere
with the Cheeseshop, which will be a crucial resource in the future.

I'm copying Sean Reifschneider on this mail as the Infrastructure
Committee may need to take a view on this issue at some point.

regards
 Steve
DjangoCon US September 7-9, 2010    http://djangocon.us/
See Python Video!       http://python.mirocommunity.org/