[pydotorg-www] [PSF-Volunteers] International Symbol - request for addition

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Apr 28 00:31:54 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 27 April 2010 06:02:10 Jeremy Baron wrote:

> You'd probably want to throttle it so that it won't change more than
> once in ~1/2 sec. (tunable)
>
> The changes below should do it.

Provided it doesn't perform a "busy wait", it would be acceptable. I once
complained to one prominent Norwegian site about an advertisement that caused
more than 90% CPU usage because it was written to do needless ultra-smooth
scrolling with its content, eventually getting them to lean on the
perpetrators and make it less outrageously behaved. As I explained to them,
the last thing you want is the battery on your netbook/notebook/phone to go
flat because part of a Web site wants to update itself unduly, even if the
browser is minimised or the tab is hidden (ridiculously enough).

Paul

P.S. Eventually, I blocked scripts from their site altogether, but that's
another matter. Sites shouldn't be on the brink of annoying their regular
audience.