[pydotorg-www] Introductions

Ethan Schoonover es at ethanschoonover.com
Fri Apr 23 21:47:19 CEST 2010

Hello pydotorg,

I find myself here courtesy of Jesse's well-timed blog post. I'd like
to give you a sense of my current orientation to the larger Python
community and my background in order to contextualize my comments and
any ongoing contribution I might be able to make to this process.

I have a dual technology and marketing (yes, I said the 'm' word)
background. I've filled both roles for over a decade, including having
running web production and marketing operations for Fortune 500
clients in a multinational ad agency for much of my career.

Despite having run large marketing and web production operations, I
live in vim, my UI of choice is a command line and I eat ones and
zeros for breakfast.

I am also a complete Python noob, but I almost wasn't. That's why I'm
here, posting to this list. I want to share my perspective as a recent
'convert' to Python, talk about the barriers to selection I faced in
relation to the website and perhaps share some of my thoughts on
improving things.

In terms of self education, a key factor in my selection of Python was
the "State of the Python Community" video that Steve Holden gave at
PyCon 2009. This got me over the hump of my initial "wow what a
terrible website" reaction and made me realize that its current state
wasn't indicative of the language or community itself.

I've begun to review Richard's site redevelopment proposal plan and I
think he's got an absolutely solid foundation there.

I'll have further questions and comments, but for now I just wanted to
wade gently into these waters and say hello.

Best regards to one and all,
Ethan

Ethan Schoonover

es at ethanschoonover.com