[pydotorg-www] Current python.org contributor process

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Apr 23 00:31:53 CEST 2010

On Thursday 22 April 2010 23:19:59 Michael Foord wrote:

> Anyone who doesn't think this constitutes a "high barrier to entry" is
> nuts (tm).

Nicely put.

> For what it's worth my *memory* (fallible) is of Fred Lundh's through
> the web experiment attracting a great deal of interest and contributions
> - that was for the Python documentation rather than the website though.

He did experiments for both the Web site and for the documentation:

http://effbot.org/zone/pydotorg.htm
http://effbot.org/zone/pyref.htm

[...]

> [1] The first link on the "Help maintain the website" page is to "Report
> problems or suggest an improvement" (
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonWebsiteCreatingNewTickets ). This
> suggests emailing webmaster at python.org (not a bad move) - or making
> changes on this wiki page: http://wiki.python.org/moin/SiteImprovements
> A wiki page is not a substitute for an issue tracker and that wiki page
> is a mess.

To be fair, that page has evolved from some random exchange:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/SiteImprovements?action=recall&rev=1

If anything, it's just notes about stuff that could be done. That it hasn't
been cleaned up is mostly due to the "hands off" approach us Wiki editors
have. I'd actually like to have a clearer mandate for Wiki maintenance and a
contributor policy, including the issue of proper licensing (even if it's
just a warning message) - amusing, since my involvement with the Wiki started
with someone lifting content from my Web site and then, as I recall, telling
me they'd done it:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebProgramming?action=recall&rev=1

Paul