[pydotorg-www] project plan

Michael Foord mfoord at python.org
Wed Apr 21 18:31:36 CEST 2010

On 21/04/2010 18:25, skip at pobox.com wrote:
>      >>  - I wonder if the PSF might consider funding a competent technical
>      >>  writer with essentially no programming experience to learn the
>      >>  language and produce a good tutorial aimed at complete novices.
>
>      Michael>  Whilst *evaluating* tutorials can be done (and perhaps is best
>      Michael>  done) by those with little experience I don't think that
>      Michael>  absolute Python newbies can *create* a very good tutorial.
>
> My implicit point was that I think it's difficult for experienced
> programmers to write documentation which is suitable for non-programmers.  I
> don't know what the resolution will be, but there is certainly tension
> between the two extremes.

Hehe. As a (relatively) experience Python developer and a writer I don't
think it is that hard if you have the right mindset and skills. I don't
think it is *possible* for a real newbie to write useful documentation
though. Having a technical-but-python-novice as a reviewer would be very
helpful though.

>      >>  - Would Google App Engine be a suitable environment for an interactive
>      >>  Python exploratorium?
>      >>

>      Michael>  I'd rather not have our core services dependent on external
>      Michael>  providers - but am not *strongly* against it for some of the
>      Michael>  details.
>
> I only mentioned GAE because presumably they've solved the problem of
> someone entering something simple like
>
>      print 1000 ** 1000 ** 1000

Ah - you're talking about an "interactive Python exploratorium", I
missed that. Yes, implementing it on top of google app engine would be
sensible.

If you're not ideologically opposed to Silverlight then I have already
implemented something like this called "Try Python" (unfortunately not
yet compatible with Silverlight 4 which has just been released - I need
a free weekend): http://www.trypython.org/

The advantage of Silverlight is that the code runs on the client not the
server. The disadvantage is that it is only installed on 50% of browsers
and has poor Linux support (works great on the Mac though).

All the best,

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/