[Pydotorg-redesign] python.org - Time for a Technolgy Update?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu May 1 16:28:53 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 01, 2008, Steve Holden wrote:

> I am writing to this list, which appears to be largely dormant since
> "The Great Reorganization" over two years ago now, because I have
> mentioned the prospect of migrating some of the site's functionality to
> Django a couple of times on the pydotorg list and had no takers. So I
> wondered if anyone at all besides Fredrik Lund and me think it would be
> a good idea.
>
> I can understand that nobody might relish the task, but I would hope
> that it could be done incrementally in such as way that the transition
> would not need to be managed in the same "all or nothing" way that the
> last one was.
>
> Thoughts?

Right now, the active discussion in this area is moving the jobs page to
a tracker so that the page itself can be auto-generated.  My thought is
that we should finish that first before any other discussion of website
technology to avoid distractions.

I'm not intrinsically objecting to your proposal, but I do think that
because python.org is not a particularly dynamic site, we do want to
make sure that we can generate a static site for efficient serving.  (We
already have regular problems with the machine bogging down with the
existing dynamic code in PyPI.)

Help a hearing-impaired person: http://rule6.info/hearing.html