[Pydotorg-redesign] python.org - Time for a Technolgy Update?

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Thu May 1 15:44:29 CEST 2008

Steve Holden wrote:
> I am writing to this list, which appears to be largely dormant since
> "The Great Reorganization" over two years ago now, because I have
> mentioned the prospect of migrating some of the site's functionality to
> Django a couple of times on the pydotorg list and had no takers. So I
> wondered if anyone at all besides Fredrik Lund and me think it would be
> a good idea.
>
> I can understand that nobody might relish the task, but I would hope
> that it could be done incrementally in such as way that the transition
> would not need to be managed in the same "all or nothing" way that the
> last one was.

If it were Zope 3 I would be interested in helping, but I'm not a Django
developer, and I've developed the impression that Zope doesn't have a good
perception with many pydotorg folk, unfortunately.

In general, dynamic websites don't seem desirable by many on pydotorg, and
although I've heard the arguments of non-endorsement (of a single framework),
stability and complexity, (a) there are still things dynamic engines can do
that static content cannot, and (b) it would strengthen Python's standing as a
serious web development language if it were showcased with python.org, IMHO.

-Jeff