[Pydotorg-redesign] What are the goals?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Tue Sep 30 21:31:26 EDT 2003

Roy Smith writes:
 > Why?  Did we sell somebody a support contract while I wasn't looking?

If there's a complaint that the site "doesn't work" under NS4, then it
would be nice if we could make it work for them.  That doesn't mean we
should break it or degrade it for people using current browsers.  It
also doesn't mean we need to exert unlimited levels of effort to make
it work for NS4.

The idea that we should support all once-mainstream browsers doesn't
make sense to me; we're not supporting Mosaic now either.

The text browsers are more interesting because they offer different
functionality than older graphical browsers.  The older graphical
browsers aren't offering functionality that's different, so present no
cause to continue support.

After all this discussion about NS4 compatibility, I'm inclined to
make a site that can't possibly work with it.  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation