[Pydotorg-redesign] What are the goals?

Dylan Reinhardt python at dylanreinhardt.com
Tue Sep 23 21:29:42 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 17:12, Aahz wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003, Steve Holden wrote:
> >
> > Like nothing will continue to happen. We don't need visions, we need
> > direction, hence my (attempted) focus on goals.
>
> How do you suggest we set goals, then?

Jumping in here, our essential problem is we *lack* the ability to set
goals.  As a consequence, we discuss goals in an decision-making vacuum,
which remains amusing for only a few weeks at a time.

The way things stand, interested parties are encouraged to gather what
information they can and put together a proposal that is evaluated in a
PEP-like process.  That sounds nice, but doesn't show very much
awareness of how much effort goes into a non-trivial design proposal.

Precious few pieces of effective communications are developed by
committee in an open, collaborative process.  A small group (1-4 people)
is going to need to go off and create something.  This is only likely to
happen if the powers that be are *involved* and demonstrate a high
degree of predisposition toward taking this group's output seriously.

To move forward, we will have to identify and/or delegate
decision-making authority.  That authority will need to be *involved* in
the redesign process.  I don't see a lot of other ways to succeed.

FWIW,

Dylan