[marketing-python] RE: [Pydotorg-redesign] how to search the site

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue Sep 23 15:10:12 EDT 2003

In a message of Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:18:09 EDT, "Fred L. Drake, Jr." writes:

>Roy Smith writes:
> > On a slightly different tangent, I'm a little concerned about "cute"
> > names like "Starship" and "Vaults of Parnassus".  One of our goals is
>
>But these aren't names "we" (meaning the python.org maintainers) have
>created.
>
> > to appeal to dev managers.  Dev managers don't like cute.  Cute is the
>
> > antithesis of "this will help me deliver my product on time and keep m
> > job".
>
>Understood.
>
>Note that the Vaults will (likely) be replaced by the Python Package
>Index (PyPI; www.python.org/pypi/) at some point in the future.
>(Well, I think it should be, at any rate.)  Just when this makes sense
>depends on the growth of the PyPI database.
>

>  -Fred

If you want the PyPI database to grow, you need to put a pointer to the
index out there which tells people how to make such a package.  I
still am unsure how, and there are lots of us in that boat.  Then it
would be worthwhile to go through the vaults and make a package of
each thing there.  I believe that there are lots of people in the
community who would love to help and would do this -- as long as it
was just plain work, and didn't require them to make judgements about
packages that they don't know anything about.

Laura