[Pydotorg-redesign] Redesigned version of current home page

Tim Parkin tim.parkin at pollenationinternet.com
Mon Sep 22 15:37:38 EDT 2003

Skip:
>I know Tim Parkin doesn't really like this idea, but I'll toss it out
>nonetheless.  Here's a modified version of Andrew's revised home page
which
>puts a Google search box near the top of the left margin.  I don't
think
>Google should have anything to complain about (are we required to
provide
>web & python.org radio buttons?), but the (required?) Google logo
doesn't
>look good over the non-white background.

Hi skip, I'm not against the idea of using google at all, my only issues
were i) it doesn't negatively affect the design layout of the site and
ii) we abide by google licensing guidlelines. I think Google does a
remarkable job as a full site search, a huge amount better than most
generic (ie not site optimised) searches.

It might be wise to remove the add the www subdomain to the google
search as you get a lot of low quality results through the mailing lists
otherwise. I've altered the following example to just limite to www so
you can compare. I've also tweaked the graphics and spacing a little. I
also have a version with the 'search' text inside the form field as I
was unsure how well the logo worked with 'search' underneath.

http://pollenation.net/assets/public/python.org.html

My only previous comments were that I believe an site specific and site
optimised search tool would offer substantial benefits, both in design
flexibility (I mean information design as well as visual design) and
quality/specificity of search results. I think myself and Skip had
agreed that we'd leave the possible test of that to a much later day.

Tim