[Pydotorg-redesign] how to search the site

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 05:17:54 EDT 2003

The best advice I have ever seen on search engine usability is in Steve
Krug's excellent book "Don't Make Me Think". There are two possible
options for a search interface (apologies for the poor ASCII art):

Search: |________| |Go!|

or

|________| |Search|

Any other wording will cause people to have to stop and think, which is
bad. Additional options etc are fine, but they should be hidden away on
the advanced search page. The labels above are particularly important -
the single word search MUST be included and the action word "Go!" should
be used on teh button only if the word "Search" has already been used.

I would suggest a possible third way that makes use of a snippet of
javascript, based on a modification of the first method shown above: put
the word Search /in/ the search box (greyed out slightly) and have it
disappear when the user first focuses on the box. Using the labels.js
technique[1], this can be achieved without making the interface more
confusing for users with javascript disabled.

All usability advice should be taken as guidelines rather than absolute
rules, but in this case the guideline is such a good once I've never
seen any reason to deviate from it[1].

Cheers,

Simon
http://simon.incutio.com/

[1] Real nit-pickers may notice my blog uses "Search Site" rather than
just "Search". Rules are made to be broken ;)