[Pydotorg-redesign] Finishing off the site map

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Sep 1 06:16:18 EDT 2003

Yesterday evening I checked in another bunch of .sitemap-ignores, and
added a feature that lets you put glob patterns (e.g. pr*.ht) into a
.sitemap-ignore file; matching files aren't included on the sitemap.
This lets /dev/summary/ show up without having to list every single
python-dev summary.

In short, at this point I think the pointless cruft has finally been
removed from the site map.  Please take a look at
www.python.org/SiteMap.html, and check in appropriate .sitemap-ignore
files if you disagree.

There's one remaining problem: the ordering of the top-level
directories such as doc/, 2.3/, sigs/, etc.  Right now they're sorted
in ASCII order, so 1.5/ is the very first directory, and 2.3 is in the
middle, after all the older 2.x versions.

I'd like to hard-wire a better ordering into sitemap.py.  My proposal
is to break it into two parts for important and obscure stuff, and
leave each part sorted.

2.3
community
doc
download
dev
peps
psf
pycon
search
sigs
topics
workshops

1.5
2.0   (and other older versions)
editors
emacs
idle
cp4e  (is this directory still relevant?)
other
packman
patches
windows