[Pydotorg-redesign] user control

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Wed Oct 29 04:20:03 EST 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>    Matt> http://pollenation.net/assets/public/draft-oct14.html
>    Matt> works wonderfully [with mozilla].
>    Matt> However, please try with Safari and other browsers.
>
>Works there as well.  In addition Cmd- and Cmd+ resize the Google and Python
>logos.

I've gone through quite a bit of pain to ensure that the site will
resize intelligently up to a realistic point (beyond a certain point,
headers start to overlap, lhs menu takes over the page, etc).

On top of this, I've only recently gone through an extensive debug
session with David Mertz who highlighted that setting a min font size of
16 (in fact any min font size above 13) was making the lhs menu's pop
out of their boxes. (see bottom for reasons and solution

After rejigging the site, it also now works for most realistic min font
sizes .

In addition, there will be a few alternate stylesheets, see the
following for an example

http://pollenation.net/assets/public/collapsetest/

These stylesheets currently work to make the font bigger and/or hide the
menu (hiding menu will propbably be a tool only available at  the
document level and from the document sub-menu).

oh.. the latest version including the fixes for min font size is...

http://pollenation.net/assets/public/draft-oct23.html

I've been working on the design for the home page which so far is going
quite well. However, we're now very very busy at work and with no let up
til the start of december. At this point I'll be getting married and
going away on honeymoon for two weeks and won't be back until dec 24th.
As you can imagine this doesn't leave much time for working on the
Python redesign. I will be getting back to it over the christmas period
however and will probably have a completed proposal by mid-end Jan.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with a sneak preview of the home page.
Excuse the rough edges as this is only a proof of concept for the
'stretchy images.

http://pollenation.net/assets/public/draft-oct19.html

Cheers all....

Tim

PROBLEM & SOLUTION
---------------------------

The problem was Mozilla's parent divs not inheriting the adjusted font
sizes if the parent was normally an inline element (an a tag in this
case). The solution was to add extra widths in. This raised another
problem in that mozilla bases it's em widths on the base font size for
whatever div you are working on. This is ok until a min font size is set.

eg

if you had two divs

#div1
{
 width:60em;
 font-size:100%;
}

#div2
{
 width:100em;
 font-size:60%;
}

although both of these would be the same width normally, only the bottom
one would get scaled if you set a minimum font size.