[Pydotorg-redesign] Draft HTML for redesign proposal

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Oct 17 12:37:13 EDT 2003

> >I don't believe that "many people install extra fonts."  The reality
> >is that if it's not on the dominant vendor's CD, it's not going to be
> >on most boxes.
>
> Just from a survey on
>
>  http://www.codestyle.org/css/font-family/sampler-UnixResults.shtml
>
> all the people I know who use unix have the windows fonts installed,
> most also have the bitstream fonts. This cross section is mostly
> programmers but a few designers and a couple of desktop office users
> although like many 'friend surveys' will have it's own demographic tilt.

Trust me on this one.  We're geeks.  Inevitably, our friends are
mostly geeks.  This is *not* a representative survey. :-)

> As an aside, it is intended that KDE would use Bitstream Vera range as
> part of it's core standard fonts. Other distributions would include
> Freetype, XFT2 and X Render extensions of the XFree86 project, Pango,
> KDE and Trolltechs QT

For most of my colleagues here at Elemental Security, it won't exist
until it comes from a Red Hat CD.  The same is true for our enterprise
customers.

> >> The reason for the conversation was that these fonts present quite
> >> diverse ranges of condensed/expanded, x-heights and densities. Arial
> >> and verdana represent the extremes of both of these and are the most
> >> common fonts available to Python users (over 70% of users on Windows
> >> systems, 18% on Linux and 1% on Mac).
> >Are these Python stats or font availability stats?  Where did you get
> >them?
>
> These are stats for september 2003 from www.python.org/wwwstats

I was afraid so.  That's 70% Windows *downloads*, not *users*.  Since
Python is pre-installed on *all* Linux distros (not just Red Hat :-),
Linux users don't have to download anythign in order to use Python.
(The same will be true for Mac OS X Panther, but that's not out yet.)