[Pydotorg-redesign] Logo question

Tim Parkin tim.parkin at pollenationinternet.com
Fri Jul 25 09:10:50 EDT 2003

>Tim Parkin writes:
> > Most of the content will only need simple transformation to become
> > compliant. The remainder can be finalised by hand. It's our
intention to
> > parse the content from the website into an form in which the
directory
> > structure is irrelevant (unique id's for navigation). Once this is
done,

>This seems very painful to work with from a maintenance perspective.
>How do you expect people to maintain site content?
>
>Do we want to bind up a change to the site's graphical design with a
>change in the approach to maintenance?  I can see changing/replacing
>the specific tools used, but changing approaches seems out of scope at
>this point.

The replacement of url's with unique ID's isn't meant as a long
term,user facing, appraoch; merely as a temporary state from which a new
structure could be generated with new URL's. I had thought about it
being a permanent state, with URL's represented by wiki-esque labels;
but this seems pointless if the tools are always available to transform
the content into a new arrangement, should the need ever arise again.

> Walter writes:
>Zope 3 isn't going to be sufficiently stable real soon; there are
>still some very fundamental questions being asked among the
>developers.
>
>We don't want to use Zope 2, as that will see less new development in
>a couple of years, though we expect to maintain it for quite some
>time.

I don't want to get into the roadmap for Zope but if we were only using
it as a back end administration system (ie it would be a useful tool to
create HTML or even .ht files, given it's intrinsic support for
reStructure text and content management like architecture). Would this
be a reasonable temporary measure as it supports the speedy generation
of a test system? Obviously the delivery of straight html would carry on
as happens today.  At some point in the far future a move towards a more
dynamic delivery system could be considered, where the possibility that
a more suitable system is available. I only ask as I want to minimise
the development of interim tools and Zope could be a good 'playground'
to prototype a back end; it could even be used to generate the ht files
so could be 'abandoned' at any point in time if felt necessary.

Tim