[Pydotorg-redesign] Graphic redesign

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Fri Jul 18 19:00:58 EDT 2003

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Walter Dörwald writes:
>  > Would it be OK to convert the current links.h files to something else
>  > automatically once and then use this new structure?
>
> I don't see why not.  Biggest issue is that the new structure should
> be easy to work with, and it must be text (of some flavor).

What about Python source? For my mockup I've used something like:

pages = StaticPage("Python",
    StaticPage("Documentation",
       StaticPage("2.1",
           crumb="Python 2.1",
           title="Python 2.1",
           url="root:doc_21.html",
           localkeywords=[]
        ),
     ),
     StaticPage("Developers",
         crumb="Developers",
         title="Stuff for developers",
         url="root:dev.html"
     ),
     crumb="Home",
     title="Python",
     url="root:index.html",
     inheritablekeywords=["Python"]
)

The problem is that this might scale badly if we have many pages.

> HT2HTML
> would need to be taught to deal with the new format.

What I wanted to try out was whether it's possible to *replace*
HT2HTML.

>  > They are, but traversing the site and downloading hundreds of .ht
>  > and links.h files by hand is not what I had in mind. A nice .tar.gz
>  > file would be much better.
>
> Sounds like you don't have CVS access;

Not for the CVS repository with the website.

> there isn't an anonymous
> server.  I might be able to tar up a copy later today if you think
> it'll really help.

I could download a few of the pages to try it out, but the real test
would be converting the complete site.

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald