[Pydotorg-redesign] 3 Simple Logo Development Guidelines

Trevor Toenjes zope at toenjes.com
Sun Aug 17 14:56:04 EDT 2003

Since it looks like efforts and opinions are being scattered, here are some
tactical suggestions to get back on track...

1.  An identity analysis needs to be completed to summarize what the logo
needs to communicate to its viewers.  If we cant agree on this, then no one
will agree on the final design, because you are all shooting in different
directions from completely  different angles.  In order to be truly
effective as a volunteer group, you have to come to an agreement on a
direction.

VERY IMPORTANT:  The summary needs to include prioritizing the various
needs, so there is no confusion on how to weight the selection criteria.

The summary can include..."quirky style to show uniqueness" vs. "it must
look corporate in the style of contemporary American business identities"
OR keywords like
...flexible, powerful, fun, geeky, sophisticated, international
The final criteria needs to be precise and not too inclusive.

2.  All logos should be developed in black and white first.  After final
acceptance, then a color palette can be developed.  If it doesn't work in
black and white, then it needs to be tossed out.

3.  Each submitted logo needs to be accompanied by a positioning explanation
about what particularly need is being met by the design and how the designer
believes that is being communicated visually.

NOTE:  Sub-Branding.
   Remember, after THE LOGO is selected, then variations on the theme can be
developed for the various segments.
examples:
Python Community could have some fun color variation.
Python Powered.
Python Documentation can have a variation.
The PSF can have its own variation on the main theme, with a variation on
the colors.

The decision is a Marketing decision, and not a web design decision.  I am
concerned that this effort is fragmented on 2 lists and may not include
individuals that have valuable positioning and direction input.  hence the
cross-post.  I think all logo and identity discussions should be confined to
the marketing list.

This discussion should not stall pydot-redesign in anyway, and is probably a
distraction.  If it is redeveloped conservatively, then redoing the look and
feel (skins/templates) later will be trivial, once the new logo and
color-palette is selected.  There is much informational architecture and
other things to do while a logo is being developed.

And if this still fails to produce results that everyone is happy with, then
consider accessing real creative design talent. (I can help with that if the
time comes.)  An agency would still require us to complete Step 1 before
they do 2 and 3.

Meanwhile, don't be too critical on each other.  Face it, there is no top
agency-level creative talent on this list.   I don't expect a typical python
developer to have the skills to design a logo and identity that meets the
strategic needs to move Python forward on a global marketing scale.  But we
should have fun winging it, like most non-funded marketing activities.  :)

Cheers,
Trevor