[Pydotorg-redesign] Rearranging the python.org sidebar (again!)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Aug 12 11:37:01 EDT 2003

BTW, Steve, it would be really handy in these long discussion threads if
you'd use standard quoting.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003, Steve Holden wrote:
>Aahz:
>>
>> The problem is that currently if we remove Python Versions, you have
>> to click through at least two pages to make a download; until that's
>> fixed, it needs to stay.
>
> Disagree. Clearly the downloads page will improve, but even before
> that the current download is one click away, and only older versions
> require two. That's placing a disincentive on the use of older
> versions which would be a good thing.

Unless you're talking about the Announcements section (which isn't IMO
useful), where's the one click?

>> Agreed about mirrors; disagree about site map.  Many people go almost
>> immediately to site map (or search) if they don't see something
>> obviously related to what they're looking for, because looking at the
>> whole site structure helps to figure what's located where.
>
> OK, "site map" could stay at the top of the nav bar, right under the
> "search" box (we are going to put "search" on all pages, right?)

But of course.

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz