[Pydotorg-redesign] Rearranging the python.org sidebar (again!)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Aug 12 10:40:21 EDT 2003

I certainly agree that "Python Versions" is a waste of space - we
already have a "Downloads" lin k in the top nav section, and going there
shows you everything that "Python Versions" has in it. I'd just lose
that navbar section altogether.

Also, while "mirror sites" and "site map" are both useful links I thing
they are too far up.

Instead of heading what would become the first section as
"Documentation" (confusing, since there's also a "Documentation" link in
the top nav bar ...) could we have it read "Python: an Agile Programming
Language"? That way we have explained to complete newbies at the top
left of the page what Python is, and the introductory links have the
necessary prominence.

> Suggest a set of beginner's links and we can try it.  (But Kevin
> reported that many users go to python.org for documentation; the
> current link arrangement therefore has version and
> documentation links
> in the upper left corner.)

As I just explained, I don't think we need any other special "beginners"
links.

However, on the "What is Python" page I'd like to see a change from
"Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming
language" to "Python is an agile, open source, object-oriented
programming language". Also (from a marketing point of view) that page
focuses far too much on features (What is Python) and nowhere near
enough on benefits (How will Python help me). We should look at a
marketing-assisted rewrite.

> Incidentally, I received an anecdotal report from one of my SO's
> co-workers that it's really annoying when the 'Python' icon in the
> upper left-hand corner is actually unreadable.  (e.g. one is in the
> Wingdings fonts, so it's just a bunch of symbols.)  Anyone want to go
> through the icons and discard the offending ones?

We should adopt a common visual style for all pages. Which reminds me,
links like "Editing Python Code" and "Python Books" go to the Wiki. We
should try to ensure that Wiki pages have a look consistent with the
rest of the site to avoid confusing the new reader.

Overall, however, I appreciate what you're doing - this is an excellent
set of changes which will lead to a more useful site for many visitors.

regards
--
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/