[Pydotorg-redesign] Rearranging the python.org sidebar (again!)

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Tue Aug 12 15:39:38 EDT 2003

Oktay Safak wrote:

>"Matt Goodall" <matt at pollenation.net> wrote:
>

>>Tooltips are great for providing additional
>>information about a link the reader has already seen but are not so good
>>for catching their attention in the first place.
>>

>Well, the three major links that are acronyms are IDLE, SIGs and PEPs, I
>guess. SIGs and PEPs aren't likely to be of interest to a newcomer so
>tool-tips would provide enough explanation for them.

Actually, SIGS are *extremely* important right now for the sole reason
that it's where the DB-API is documented. That specification should be
more prominent although I haven't got any suggestions.

>So, I think, in addition to the above mentioned methods and better
>placement, we should be using stylistic difference for links that we want to
>stand out from the rest while making sure that this doesn't impact the page
>design negatively. Exactly what those would be up to the visual designer. If
>that can be done properly, this will even result in a richer visual
>experience.

I would say that any links that need to stand out should simply be
placed toward the top of the menu or , if they're **really** important,
should exist in the nav area at the top of the page (to the right of the
logo). However, using stylistic differences to help readers scan the
page looking for relevant information or links is a good idea. Group
headers in large menus are one example of this - looks different so
gives the eye something to focus in on and contains some text to tell
the reader that they're on the right path.

- Matt

--
Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
w: http://www.pollenationinternet.com