[Pydotorg-redesign] Some quick observations and ideas about the current site

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Aug 10 20:00:15 EDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003, Oktay Safak wrote:

> - Serif fonts (like Arial, Verdana etc.) are easier to read on screen and
> look more modern and elegant. A switch to serif fonts would be nice.

I'm opposed to using the web as a substitute for PDF.  All browsers have
the ability to specify fonts of the user's choice; it's not our place to
muck with that.  Similarly, I *always* use <font size="+1"> to do
relative font size changes instead of absolute.

> - The main text area should feature the question "What's Python?" and our
> answer and the Google quote. (I know I said this before)

Haven't had a chance to mention this yet, but I think the set of links in
the top navbar should be:

* Why Python?
* Getting Started
* Documentation
* Community
* Sitemap
* Developers

The reason I say "Why" instead of "What" is that I think most people
going to www.python.org already have a vague idea what Python is, and we
can still make "What is Python?" fairly prominent, just not part of the
navbar.

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz