[Pydotorg-redesign] The Zope question

Dylan Reinhardt python at dylanreinhardt.com
Fri Aug 8 23:39:45 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 14:57, Jack Jansen wrote:
> In addition to those disadvantages, with which I pretty much agree, I
> fail
> to see any *real* advantages to using Zope ("real" here as opposed to
> the
> publicity value/eat your own dogfood thing).

A substantial goal in its own right... but not a technical requirement.

> Zope shines when you have lots of active content, we don't. Zope shines
> when
> you have distinct groups of designers, programmers and content people,
> we
> don't. Zope shines when you need to enforce complicated permissions, we
> don't.

Absolutely true and somewhat circular.

We *can't* do dynamic content management now, therefore we don't.  It
follows that a system that *does* offer dynamic content management is
not required... after all, we don't do it now, do we?

I'm not saying we should choose tools and then *find* uses for them...
but neither should we let our goals become unduly constrained by what
we've been able to accomplish in the past.

FWIW,

Dylan