[Pydotorg-redesign] Switching to Roundup

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Apr 15 13:34:51 EDT 2003

[I'm switching this to pydotorg rather than pydotorg-redesign, because
this is now a current almost-active issue.  I'm cc'ing pydotorg-redesign
so people there not on pydotorg know that this hasn't been dropped.
Richard, you're on pydotorg, so there's no need to cc you directly.]

[I've read the whole thread to date, but I'm going back to the beginning
to clarify with a complete summary.]

[Summary for pydotorg'ers not on pydotorg-redesign: we're now making a
push to have Roundup be the issue tracker for webmaster issues, both to
simplify managing the web site and to serve as beta testers for Roundup
to get off SourceForge.]

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003, Richard Jones wrote:

> In terms of spec, I suppose the simplest thing to do would be to have:
>
> 1. a form on the website that submits a new issue to the tracker (capture
>    details of query and email address for responses) ... the webmaster alias
>    could also be pointed at this system too, I suppose
> 2. on submission, the tracker:
>    - picks a random webmaster user (weighted by # of assigned issues) to
>      assign the issue to (that user automatically gets emailed a copy of
>      the query), and
>    - sends a form-letter to the user acknowledging the issue (/dev/null reply
>      address)
> 3. a cron job checks for issues unanswered for 2 (or so) days and reassigns
>    if necessary (new assignee gets the same query message sent to them)
> 4a. assigned user replies to the query message (which goes back to the
>     tracker) - the tracker closes the issue and forwards the reply to the user
> 4b. assigned user manually closes or reassigns issue via web interface
> (5) optionally, the user responds to the message, and the issue is reopened.
>     loop to 4.

So the current plan is actually:

* Create new issues either with web form interface (non-public?) or with
e-mail to webmaster alias (along with "jobs" and "events" aliases).

* New issues are not assigned.  Form letter is sent to user with
/dev/null Reply-To: (and From: also?).  We use different form letters
depending on which alias is used.

* If a Roundup user responds to the issue by e-mail, the issue is
assigned to that user and closed.  The issue gets re-opened if the
original submitter responds, staying assigned to the same Roundup user.
The Roundup user sends e-mail to Roundup, which then sends a form letter
to the original submitter.

* Standard Roundup functionality is available through the web interface,
including the ability to pluck issues from another user's queue.  The
original submitter does not get changes of assignment (unless the
submitter is a Roundup user).

* Weekly status reports on all open issues are sent by e-mail to all
Roundup users.

How much of this is correct, Richard?  Any complaints/suggestions from
other pydotorg people?

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz, c.l.py, 2/4/2002