[pycon-za] Sponsor, Speakers and some general ideas

Graeme Glass graemeglass at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 16:29:13 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Jonathan Endersby
> <jonathan.endersby at praekeltconsulting.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Can I suggest we base the sponsor levels on what ScaleConf
>> used. http://scaleconf.org/sponsor-details  -  Simon, do you have a budget
>> yet?
>>
>> Graeme, I get that Go2Africa is wanting to help with travel arrangements,
>> but isn't that what they do? Are they offering discounts?

Indeed that is what they do. The idea was to help find the delegates
preferred rates and help them with their travel plans, and give it to
them at "cost price". The sponsorship/discount part would be that
delegates would save on agent fees and mark up. (Any discounts g2a are
able to get from suppliers because of their volumes and relationships
with those suppliers, will be passed on to delegates).

Delegates would obviously be in no way compelled to use g2a, so if
delegates can make their own travel plans and accommodation bookings
(cheaper, easier) on their own; no problems.

If the discount falls below the sponsorship level or is out of the
sponsorship scope, then once again; no problems. I was just throwing
it out there to see if it would help.

>> I think an all expenses paid safari would be a great incentive to get
>> international speakers to speak. I feel that could be offered in exchange
>> for cash, assuming the value fell within one of the sponsor levels (as per
>> ScaleConf etc)
>>
>> j.
>>

> Hi
>
> I don't think there should be much of a problem finding international
> speakers willing to come just for the air ticket, although safari is of
> course cool (but I would trade safari for more slots).

Agreed, the Safari seemed like a nice idea for an international
speaker as a gift (at least in my mind),
but if more speakers could be secured with that money, then I would
much rather have more speakers.