[pycon-za] Official call for speakers

Neil Muller drnlmuller at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 17:47:30 CEST 2012

On 21 August 2012 17:23, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Neil Muller <drnlmuller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21 August 2012 17:00, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ok. Let's retract a bit. Why do you say overly long slots are actually
>>> better than overly short slots?
>>
>> Of what benefit is a talk where the speaker does not have time to
>> adequately explain the problem and the solution adopted?
>
> I hate to bring this up, since I don't believe in argument by
> authority, but I've been to a lot of conferences and generally those
> that have shorter talks are of higher quality (for related or
> unrelated reasons).

Um - professional academic here, so I don't think you get to play the
"you haven't been to enough conferences" card. I've seen far too many
potentially interesting talks destroyed by overly short time limits,
and that's in areas where the speaker can and does assume a lot of
common background with the audience.

--
Neil Muller
drnlmuller at gmail.com

I've got a gmail account. Why haven't I become cool?