[Pycon-volunteers] Tutorial Volunteering and misc items

Rami Chowdhury rami.chowdhury at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 16:33:13 EST 2017

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 16:24, Ewa Jodlowska wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 12:49 AM, Jamiel Almeida <slashfoo at gmail.com (mailto:slashfoo at gmail.com)> wrote:
> > My idea with the tables are for rallying up the volunteers that show up the day of with little info on what to do, I'm sure the people at that table will be bored a few hours into the conference.
> >
> > So at that point we could either put the sign there, or fold it into registration later.
> >
> > The utility for this is basically so that volunteers that show up fresh/new to the whole deal, that put their names on the excell sheets and half-read the instructions have somewhere to anchor to at the beginning of the day when only early risers are at the tables.
> >
> > We could also just replace the whole idea with a big "catchy" sign that reads "Volunteering? Go to the staff room".
> I am not sure which option would work best. On one hand I think the staff room is a good place but on the other hand, it can be an intense place to walk into if it is busy...which it is most of the time :) We don't always have people in there to welcome and assist volunteers either...

We could do both? Have tables for the first couple of hours and then put the sign up by registration?
> > Another idea that I have seen at another family friendly conference (or maybe it was at pycon in a previous year? don't remember) was that the volunteers wore (those that wanted to, anyways) Dr. Seuss, "Cat in the Hat" hats so that they could be easily identified. I like the idea of wearing something distinct so that people that need help can have an easier way getting it.
>
> It was at PyCon. Rami kept the concept alive for a while. This was sort of replaced by the staff t-shirts. Maybe this year we can add something that says "questions? ask me"?
>
> The hat idea is nice because it is easy to spot in a crowd, but I know everyone will not wear it... I know I wouldn't because my head would be over heated by 9am :)
The hats were great when people wore them but they do get uncomfortable quickly! Maybe big buttons? I'd be happy to order a few!

--
Rami Chowdhury
“A mind all logic is like a knife all blade — it makes the hand bleed that uses it.” — Rabindranath Tagore