[Pycon-interest] Talk proposal: Using reST

Brett Cannon bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Nov 25 20:14:20 2002

It was suggested to me that I consider giving a talk at PyCon on using
ReStructured Text (reST)  since I use it on the python-dev Summaries.
Since I have never done this kind of thing before, I am not sure what the
commmittee needs from me.

If I did do this I would go over uses of reST, through reST syntax,
possible gotchas that could throw someone, the tools that are included
with docutils and how to use them, and if time allows the general module
layout.  I can mention design ideas, but that is really David Goodger's
thing since he helped design reST.  Unfortunately David doesn't think he
will be able to make it to PyCon so the other suggestion given to me of
David talking about design and then me covering use will not work.

So, does the committee need a more formal outline of what I would do?  Or
perhaps the committee should first decide whether this talk should really
be given (doesn't fit cleanly with the "Popularizing Python" theme; kind
of does only because people can use reST outside of Python and thus garner
some notice for the language)?  What is the next step in the process?

-Brett Cannon

P.S.: It looks like I am going to be involved in planning PyCon, but I
will in no way use  that  position to comment on this proposal; in the
name of fairness and such I will stay quiet.