[PSF-Community] Results of the PSF Board of Directors Election and Bylaws Vote

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sun Jun 11 23:53:31 EDT 2017

I can attest that the tie-break software deterministically chooses Trey
Hunner when tied with Paola Katherine Pacheco.  Any other member can
download the tool to verify the result by running:

532-psf-election % python break-ties.py -c "Paola Katherine Pacheco" -c
"Trey Hunner" -n 1
['Trey Hunner']

Effectively, we declare in advance the ordering of ties among each N
candidates who might tie for a relevant position.  In the case of this
election, we might potentially have needed to break ties to decide between
the 3, 2, and 1 year terms, but no ties happened to fall at those
boundaries (albeit Marlene Mhangami and Kenneth Reitz tied for the 9/10
spots... but since either of those go into the same term cohort, there is
no need to break that tie).

Even though Trey could know in advance of the election that he would be
selected in the event of a tie with Paola, this is actually of little use
for a candidate trying to "game" an election.  Trey would also, for
example, lose such a tie with Kenneth Reitz or Marlene Mhangami had those
occurred.  It's very unlikely that a candidate could devise a strategy to
come in last place, but tie with a some particular candidate the algorithm
would have them beat.  Moreover, three-way ties need not share any ordering
with a two-way between a subset of those three (and likewise for any N and
N-1).

As an illustration, had Lorena Mesa received fewer votes, simply adding her
to the contest between Trey and Paolo would happen to choose Paolo over
Trey (and  Lorena over Trey also, in this case):

552-psf-election % python break-ties.py -c "Paola Katherine Pacheco" -c
"Trey Hunner" -c "Lorena Mesa" -n 2
['Paola Katherine Pacheco', 'Lorena Mesa']