[PSF-Community] Looking for alternatives to meetup.com

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 00:08:44 EST 2015

Actually, I'd counter that to some degree. I often use Meetup to search
because they often have clearer information around how active the group is,
when the last meeting was etc etc. It's often more helpful than a general
wiki page, or articles "about" meetup groups, or do I search for user group
or interest group. Probably, I do both. But I find Google doesn't always
give me what I'm looking for, but an active meetup group does.

On 19 November 2015 at 13:53, Uche Ogbuji <uche at ogbuji.net> wrote:

> Good topic. Good thread.
>
> I'm not so sure it's as hopeless as it may seem to avoid meetup.com. As
> powerful and entrenched as meetup.com is, I would wager that a couple of
> orders of magnitude more people check plain ol' Google for events than
> check meetup.com.
>
> Google has recently added support for rich snippets for events, and does
> some really useful things with those snippets without a user even having to
> leave the search page.
>
> https://developers.google.com/structured-data/rich-snippets/events?hl=en
>
> Furthermore, where Google goes with structured Web metadata the others
> (Bing, Yahoo, Yandex, Baidu...) tend to follow eventually.
>
> I'd suggest that some combination of a meetup.com alternative for
> RSVP/registration hosting with a PSF-curated web page including
> snippet-enriched ( http://schema.org ) Python event descriptions could
> offer even more reach than meetup.com alone.
>

> --
> Uche Ogbuji                                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
> Founding Partner, Zepheira                  http://zepheira.com
> Author, _Ndewo, Colorado_                 http://uche.ogbuji.net/ndewo/