[PSF-Community] Looking for alternatives to meetup.com

Uche Ogbuji uche at ogbuji.net
Wed Nov 18 21:53:20 EST 2015

Good topic. Good thread.

I'm not so sure it's as hopeless as it may seem to avoid meetup.com. As
powerful and entrenched as meetup.com is, I would wager that a couple of
orders of magnitude more people check plain ol' Google for events than
check meetup.com.

Google has recently added support for rich snippets for events, and does
some really useful things with those snippets without a user even having to
leave the search page.

https://developers.google.com/structured-data/rich-snippets/events?hl=en

Furthermore, where Google goes with structured Web metadata the others
(Bing, Yahoo, Yandex, Baidu...) tend to follow eventually.

I'd suggest that some combination of a meetup.com alternative for
RSVP/registration hosting with a PSF-curated web page including
snippet-enriched ( http://schema.org ) Python event descriptions could
offer even more reach than meetup.com alone.

--
Uche Ogbuji                                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira                  http://zepheira.com