[portland] PEP 8 Line Length Compliance

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu May 21 16:53:01 CEST 2015

   I use emacs for writing code (among other editing tasks) and have the line
length set to 78 characters. That's the recommended maximum line length in
PEP 8. However, when I have a lot of text for an import command, or within a
single-quoted string, python complains about unexpected endings if I break
the string with a newline prior to column 78.

   Should I just ignore that PEP 8 suggestion or is there a line continuation
character (such as \) that can be applied?

Rich