[portland] Meeting tonight

Kevin Turner keturn at keturn.net
Thu Jan 10 00:42:13 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 05:24 PM, Daniel Johnson wrote:
> According to meetup there is a meeting tonight. Seems like it should
> have been mentioned here as well...

Thanks for catching that, Daniel.  Our regular organizer was out of town
this week, and I may have dropped some balls while filling in, including
that one.

(This is probably a good time to mention that we could use a new
co-organizer for the group to help spread the load around and increase
our Truck Number.*)

Also a reminder that while this list is often pretty darn quiet, we do
maintain the meetup page for events:
http://www.meetup.com/pdxpython/

and the IRC channel is usually active, #pdxpython on chat.freenode.net.

Thanks to all of you who came out last night!

To recap, we had Machine Learning with Python by Michel Pelletier, who
gave a high-level introduction to Scikit-Learn and talked a bit about
how it works for them at Trapit.
http://scikit-learn.org/stable/

Justin Abrahms introduced his application for following github activity
at a somewhat more reasonable pace than the every-commit notifications:
http://gitstreams.com/

Eric Holscher shared his plans for the next six months, after years of
Python development: [no URL, mountains and trees don't have URLs (yet),
go outside]

Michael Schurter talked about using mmstats to get visibility on the
progress of scripts:
http://blog.schmichael.com/2012/10/03/mmstats-in-scripts/

Christopher Swenson on Sublime Text's plug-in API:
https://github.com/swenson/sublime_whitespace

and Raphael (sorry, I didn't catch your last name) gave a lightning
introduction to getting started with Django:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.4/intro/tutorial01/

We also heard from this month's food sponsor, Glider, about the work
they're doing with collaboration on contracts and other secure
documents.  They're hiring!  http://glider.com/about-us/careers/

And speaking of food, thank you for being the test subjects for my
attempt to provide a gluten-free menu.  Please pass along any feedback
to me (we know: get food there earlier!), and if you liked the food,
there's more where that came from at http://CulturedCavemanPDX.com.

Lastly, we had a request for streaming the event, for those who can't
make it downtown (or for those who can't find a seat; there were a lot
of you last night!).  If you have any expertise in that sort of thing
and would be willing to help out on presentation nights, please do let
us know.

Cheers,

 - Kevin

* Truck Number: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TruckNumber