[portland] Ghosts in the machine

Andrew Lorente andrew.lorente at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 17:23:59 CEST 2013

I'm seeing some stuff listed on pypi that says it does what I need, but
when I try to install it, pip says there's no such thing. Specifically:

$ pip search exif
pexif                     - A module for editing JPEG EXIF data
Django-Photofile          - Templatetags for thumbnail generation, with
automatic rotation based on EXIF.Orientation. Among other things.
ExifRead                  - Read Exif metadata from tiff and jpeg files.
*jpeg                      - read/write jpeg COM, EXIF, IPTC medata*
GpxImageLinkifier         - Links GPX tracks to photographs by matching the
image timestamp (in the EXIF data) to the timestamp in the GPX track
supplied.
ngalerie                  - A tool to manage Camera pictures (Rotate,
Resize, Rename using EXIF).
pyexif                    - Python module to read/write EXIF image data
*The-Big-Picture           - Read and write Exif, IPTC metadata in Jpeg and
Tiff images*
exiflow                   - A set of tools including a little GUI to
provide a complete digital photo workflow for Unixes, using EXIF headers as
the central information repository.
ztfy.imgtags              - ZTFY package for EXIF/IPTC/XMP tags management
Photofile                 - Templatetags for thumbnail generation, with
automatic rotation based on EXIF.Orientation.

The two bolded lines seem to be what I need. Indeed when I go look at pypi
I can see jpeg <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/jpeg> and
The-Big-Picture<https://pypi.python.org/pypi/The-Big-Picture>.
But when I try to install them...

$ pip install jpeg
Downloading/unpacking jpeg
  Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement jpeg
No distributions at all found for jpeg
Storing complete log in /Users/andrewlorente/.pip/pip.log

I feel like I'm missing something obvious but I can't tell what it is. Any
clues for me?