[portland] Programming contest for Oregonians

Green Driver Programming Contest contest-register+pdxpy at imagreendriver.com
Fri Oct 28 20:05:43 CEST 2011

> Jim,
>
> Would you care to provide any hints as to what kind of contest this
> will be?

We haven't discussed releasing any information beyond what is
available at http://imagreendriver.com/contest.php, but I could try to
clear up any particular confusion you have.

I'll try to give some clarification, but we probably won't be
releasing any information like:

> what are likely areas the contest question might fall
> into

But I can give you a somewhat vague answer to :

> what are the principles behind deciding what question would
> make sense

We tried to make a problem that would benefit from both strong
algorithm design and efficient use of machine resources. We also tried
to make a problem that would have several reasonable choices on how to
attack it.

Finally, I'll note that our problem has an objective metric and that,
as our contest page notes, two solutions can compete head-to-head.

Best,
Jim