[portland] django coders?

Rami Kassab rami at typethink.com
Wed Jun 17 04:26:46 CEST 2009

Dylan, well said.

Jeff, the thing to keep in mind about developers is that even though their
organization may be forcing a specific language on them, developers often
pickup languages and do their own small projects on the side. It's these
developers that eventually influence even the senior devs. So, you can
either selectively target the individual senior devs, which probably isn't
the best marketing strategy because there's significantly less of them so
your chance of success is impeded. Alternatively, you could do something
similar to what Ruby on Rails did (but without the stupid ego and attitude)
and market to smaller developers, who will eventually either become senior
developers or will influence their superiors into trying Python out.

Also, I don't know where I hinted that there's strong demand for Python but
I definitely didn't mean that. We do have to push Python onto most of our
clients. For the most part, in fact, clients don't necessarily even care
what language the application is written in... as long as it functions.
Larger clients do of course. Nonetheless, rarely is their first choice
Python. Using Python is our decision and we've made a commitment to help
excel it. If we supported Django, Pylons, TurboGears, etc and helped other
web firms adopt Python, Python will become significantly more popular. It's
the early adopters that influence the rest.

It's as simple as this, a particular language needs more advocates before it
really takes off. You need advocates on the junior and senior level within
an organization. The more the merrier. I don't think anyone in their right
mind would argue that having more people positively advocating Python would
be detrimental to it's marketing success. Now if there's a particular group
you're trying to avoid such as the less committed developers then the
marketing strategy becomes a bit more complicated. Essentially, you have to
carefully select the avenues you market the language through, which, in
turn, lessens the amount of overall momentum your campaign will be able to
pickup. This naturally will set us behind other more aggressive campaigns
like that of Ruby on Rails.

Just throwing more thoughts out. This is an important discussion for
the future of Python, in my opinion, and we should debate this
maturely
and as much as possible until a solid strategy is developed and executed.

--
*Rami Kassab* - Chief Executive Officer
M 503.888.8605
rami at typethink.com