[portland] django coders?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 05:57:22 CEST 2009

Hey thanks Jeff, for the tip re the jobs board.

I was going to mention too, that sometimes it's OK to give some
details about what's being contemplated, what the project is, not just
talking about the tool set (e.g. Python).

Like I get excited about clinical research, heart caths, bypass
procedures, aggregating data and doing followup.  I've worked in
Visual FoxPro in this area for over a decade, with Python around the
edges.

When that MUMPS thing crapped out, I suggested Django, a web framework
approach, with Postgres for a back end.

However, the interim decision was run out the contract with the MUMPS
vendor while exploring this whole FOSS thing in more detail, as maybe
Kirby is just talking through his hat.  After all, MUMPS was invented
at Massachusetts General and Kaiser still uses it for something, etc.
etc.

So then I started selling the FOSS thing more generally (stable,
affordable, supportable in-house with proper training), on my own dime
(as a vendor), but hospitals are regarded as cash cows by predators
who don't believe in sharing the road all that much, so I can't say
I'm having the easiest time breaking in, even though Postgres is used
in private industry all over the place (not talking legal medical
records, just clinical research records, a different animal).

[ Blah blah... ]

Anyway, just talking about a problem domain that excites me, whereas I
don't know shit about newspapers hardly (was editor of AFSC's Asia
Pacific News but that barely counts), and lots of Django stuff has to
do with newspaper sites is my understanding.

So if someone just says "I need a Django programmer", I'm thinking
that might mean something to do with newspapers and run in the
opposite direction.  That's just not what I know.

Kirby

** http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/06/patient-tracking.html