[portland] Recommendation for book to use in classroom?

Charles Anderson master.sparkle at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 01:27:59 CET 2009

Thanks everyone for all of the recommendations.  I like to recommend a
single, dead-tree book for students who need the comfort of that.  Between
Safari and various web sites, there are obviously plenty of online resources
for the other students.  Like many/most people on the list, I just use the
online docs plus a little Googling. (Somewhere along the way, I quit using
the printed version of the 1.0 docs I have in my office.)   So, if there was
one "killer book" for intermediate-to-advanced Python, I wouldn't even know
it.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Matt Youell <matt at youell.com> wrote:

> Is this just an Intro to Python class, or is there a special emphasis?

It is a first class in Python, but not intro programming.  I have yet to
define any special emphasis (I just signed up to teach the class yesterday),
other than the desire to expand their Java-based minds.   I'm leaning
towards ending up with Django/GAE as a "practical" use of Python, beyond the
mind-expansion.

thanks,
Charles.