[Persistence-sig] When to set _p_changed (was A simple Observation API)

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:20:52 -0400

At 08:21 AM 7/31/02 -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>I guess when to set _p_changed will
>be a decision that the object designer will have to make based on the
>semantics of the object, and the operation.

Actually, if Shane's proposal for how to handle cascaded data managers is
used, then it will be unequivocal that _p_changed *must* be set *before*
the change, in order to ensure proper rollback behavior.

A principal drawback to the approach that I had been proposing, was that it
required _p_changed to be set *after* a change, which wasn't good for being
able to ensure that rollbacks would always be handled correctly.