[Persistence-sig] getting started

John Miller jmillr@umich.edu
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:42:13 -0400

Like others, I expect mainly to lurk. I would appreciate it if someone
were willing to explain how the goals of this sig go beyond pickling and
shelving. I know that this sounds like a newbie question, (which, in
most respects, I am) but it would help to make explicit the context for
the ensuing discussion. Since Python already incorporates persistence
via pickling and shelving, what is currently lacking? (I know that the
answer is probably obvious to most people on this list.) In other words,
quickly describe the difference between pickling and shelving, describe
how ZODB incorporates one or the other or both, and why or why not
extending pickling and/or shelving themselves is a wise move to achieve
the goals of this sig. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to lay the
groundwork in this or a similar fashion for us developers-in-training!

John Miller
School of Education
University of Michigan