[Pandas-dev] resampling limitations after release 1.0.5

McIntosh, Jonathan jmcintosh at rti.org
Thu Nov 4 20:35:39 EDT 2021

Hello,

I would like to report an issue that may or may not already be known, but that has been a bug that has prevented our project from progressing to more recent releases of pandas.  We are working with datasets that extend out past the maximum timestamp date of 2262-04-11, so we generally use period ranges rather than datetime ranges.  However, starting with release 1.1.0, the resample functionality no longer works with period ranges that extend past 2262-04-11.  The screenshots below show an example of this phenomenon.  Would it be possible to restore the resampling functionality for period ranges that extend past 2262-04-11 in future releases?

Example Code Snippet:
import pandas as ps
from datetime import datetime
print(ps.__version__)
rng = ps.period_range(datetime(2000, 1, 1, 0, 0), datetime(2300, 1, 1, 0, 0), freq="1D")
df = ps.DataFrame(index = rng, data = [i+1 for i in range(0,len(rng))])
resample_df = df.resample("6H").interpolate()
print(resample_df.head(10))

Result when running with pandas==1.0.5:
[cid:image004.png at 01D7D1AA.38C99720]

Result when running with pandas==1.1.1:
[cid:image003.png at 01D7D1A9.FBD5A5C0]

Thanks,

Jonathan McIntosh
Water Resources Engineer

970.498.1831 | jmcintosh at rti.org
2950 East Harmony Road, Suite 390 | Fort Collins, CO 80528
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D7D1A9.3C12EB30]