[Pandas-dev] Domain and hosting

Marc Garcia garcia.marc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 05:12:50 EST 2020

We've got a bit of a mess at the moment with the pandas domain and hosting.
I'll try to leave things in a more reasonable way, but there are some
decisions pending.

My understanding from a thread in this list was that everybody was happy
with using pandas.io, and we set up the domain for the new hosting, and
also dev.pandas.io for the development version of the website (and the blog
and anything published in our GitHub organization pages).

>From the discussion in https://github.com/pandas-dev/pandas/issues/28528
seems like the preference is to keep the old pandas.pydata.org instead.
Given that, I think we can get rid of the dev.pandas.io, and point
pandas.pydata.org to the new server once it's ready.

For the website, I think the agreement is to update it with the latest
version from master. So, no dev.pandas.io. For the development (master)
documentation, I think it can live in pandas.pydata.org/docs/dev/.

The blog, I think the best is to have the posts as pages on the website, in
a directory blog/, so we don't need to maintain separaterly, and it has the
look and feel of the website.

For the new hosting, I'll move everything (all old documentation versions)
from the current server to the new one, and then set up that the website
and the development docs are automatically updated. Tom, can you give me
access to the current web server so I can fetch the data please?

Once everything is working in the new server, we'll be able to see it in
pandas.io, and when we're happy we can change the domain pandas.pydata.org
to point to it, and disable pandas.io.

Please let me know if there are objections to any of the above, otherwise
I'll move forward.

Cheers!